Thursday, July 14, 2011

the Catholic Guilt

Today I really suffered from the Catholic Guilt.  I know that it is Sunday but I am in a completely strange city and have decided to not search for a church to go to.  I know that the good catholic in me would have gone the depth and found a place to worship, but instead I decided to just sleep in and attend the conference.  I felt so guilty about not going to church especially since I am in the orignial sin city! However, feeling guilty has gotten me no where!

Therefore, today I will no longer allow the catholic guilt get me and make me feel less, as I know that I am a good person and I really do mean to follow the best I can with my religion.  Oh Catholic Guilt...how you will get me!!!!!!

The 30 Rock episode "The Fighting Irish", Catholic guilt is described by Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin).
Jack Donaghy: That's not how it works, Tracy. Even though there is the whole confession thing, that's no free pass, because there is a crushing guilt that comes with being a Catholic. Whether things are good or bad or you're simply... eating tacos in the park, there is always the crushing guilt.

Tracy Jordan: I don't think I want that. I'm out.

[Jack turns to leave]

Jack Donaghy: [to himself] Somehow, I feel oddly guilty about that.

[Jack crosses himself] [11]




No comments: